Construction or repairs can be greatly simplified if you know how to use a laser level – a video lesson in our article and a detailed description of the process will help. Let’s say right away that this device will help you achieve maximum accuracy when measuring both horizontal and vertical surfaces.
Preparation for work
1. Choosing a level
Smoothness of surfaces and accuracy of measurements are important in any installation. However, during the construction of a building, an error of 10 millimeters is permissible, while during repairs in an apartment, it can lead to a fatal error.
Therefore, for each case, there is a separate device that will help you avoid troubles. They are divided into groups based on their accuracy and principles of work.
- High-precision – admit an error of no more than a millimeter
- Exact – their average error is already two millimeters
- Technical – they can have the largest offset in measurements, which is 10 millimeters.
According to the principle of action, the levels can be divided into three groups.
Their main component is an optical tube that magnifies the image by almost 30 times. With the help of specially marked slats and directional light, it helps to align the structure in the horizontal plane.
They not only read information, but also remember it. Therefore, they can be called the most accurate among the analogues. However, they have two drawbacks – their high price and susceptibility to damage.
These are the most commonly used devices. They are easy to use and require no special training to operate.
Tools of this type project radiation onto the surface and allow you to work with entire planes. In addition, they are easy to use and install. Since this type is one of the most popular and well-known on the market, further we will talk about it.
They are distinguished by the presence of a rotating head. It makes 60 revolutions per minute and projects the light strips onto a plane using two lasers. The lower the rotation speed, the better the emission band will be visible.
As their name suggests, they can only display points. One of the advantages of these levels is their ability to work both on walls and on floors and ceilings.
Can build horizontal, vertical and diagonal beams in different planes. Most often they are used to build fastening lines.
Before starting measurements, you need to install the device. First, check the type of food. Charge it or insert batteries if necessary.
Step-by-step preparation of the tool for operation
- Check the room for obstructions to the sensor, otherwise the laid line will be interrupted
- Choose the most level area for location and place the device on a special holder or tripod. After that, secure the structure securely. It should be noted that it is prohibited to move the level during work.
- Observe the distance specified in the instructions at which the device must be located from the measured object.
- Be sure to protect your eyes. Wear special glasses and take care of children and animals. Since the radiation is very powerful, it can harm them.
For most models, the instructions are always almost the same, but sometimes there are peculiarities in setting up devices of certain brands. If we talk about the simplest levels, then their body usually has two bubble levels and screws. You can align the beam by twisting them gently.
If the device has a self-leveling function, then you should not rely entirely on it. The horizon will have to be rechecked and, if necessary, tighten the handle again. It is better to set the indicators to 0. This figure means the distance from the floor to the instrument beam. This method makes it easier to find the laser line when working outdoors.
Some models can project multiple light bars. Customize the display to exactly the one you need. This way you can align them by looking at how many degrees there are between each guideline. However, we do not recommend using all functions at the same time, as they can confuse you.
4. Additional devices
Sometimes the adjustment and proper installation of the device is not enough to accurately determine the irregularities.
Therefore, to improve the quality of work, you can use additional tools such as a staff, target and beam receiver.
- The need for a rail arises in cases when on the surface it is necessary to draw several parallel guides at the same distance from each other.
- The target is sold directly with the device. It is a plastic plate with several concentric circles drawn on it. Such a device is suitable for those who use the level in a large room and will increase the accuracy of the projection transfer.
- The radiation of the device can be almost doubled if a successor is installed on it. With it, the projection will be visible even in sunny weather outside. It is worth noting that you need to think in advance about purchasing a successor of the same brand as the main tool. This will avoid the trouble of incompatible mechanisms.
How to use the laser level correctly for various purposes
The level can be called a very useful thing in the household. You can use it for any purpose related to the decoration of your home, from building a house to decorating.
The biggest challenge in home renovation is wall alignment. Here he can cope flawlessly with any problems. To do this, you need to direct the beam along the wall.
Then take a ruler and place it perpendicular to the radiated line. On the measuring scale, carefully look at which of these points there is a deviation from the norm. You will then calculate the required material layer required to level the wall.
How to use a laser level to level the floor
To level the floor, using the laser level, as well as for walls, is extremely simple.
It is important from the very beginning to align the tool, then include a horizontal line and mark its extreme points. Then turn the device and do the same along the entire plane of the floor, connecting the points to each other. After that, you will have a perfectly flat straight line that will show the height of the required report or material fill.
The device will also be useful for wallpapering rooms. The vertical beam will help to perfectly align the joints, and the horizontal one will be necessary for pasting borders or other decorative elements.
You can also check the quality of the work that the construction team has done with it. In case of identified deviations, you can demand to re-glue the wallpaper or reduce the cost of the services provided.
The bubble leveler and all kinds of rulers have long become irrelevant in this matter. Modular furniture is a very complex structure that requires a lot of calculations.
Therefore, to keep your shelves and cabinets level, draw a horizontal laser line. Now, focusing on it, you can fix everything you need to the walls.
The level helps to position the tiles at a strictly right angle.
To do this, turn on the cross-type construction of planes. The radiation is converted into a mesh where the center of the crossed lines coincides with the center of the seams between the tiles. Next, align each side of the tile along the guide strips.
Before buying a level, consider how often you will be using it. For home use, for example, in order to hang a picture, self-leveling professional models with many functions are not needed. We advise you to focus on a few points when buying a device:
- Measurement errors.
- The distance the beam can reach.
- Working hours.
- Is there a possibility of self-leveling.
- At what temperatures does the device function normally.
- The quality of the material from which the level is made.
Compliance with safety rules
Do not use the device at temperatures below 20 and above 50 degrees. This is fraught with the fact that the device may start to work incorrectly.
Due to the complex optical design, which is easily damaged, the laser level must be stored in a case. In it, it will be protected from moisture, dust and unnecessary shock. The bag in which the device is stored must be clean and dry.
Also, after work, all dirt must be removed from the tool. In doing so, pay special attention to the lenses, it is better to handle them with a soft cloth so as not to scratch the surface.